Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bad Habits

I have lots of bad habits, but one of my very worst may be staying up all night reading.  Last Thursday night, I indulged in this particular weakness of mine while reading Chaim Grade's masterpiece, The Yeshiva.  The book is a 700-odd page autobiographical account of the author's years in the Novardok yeshiva.  

There is so much to love about The Yeshiva.  For one, Grade's descriptions of pre-war Vilna.  He transports you back to a time that feels not much unlike our own.  The characters have problems very much the same as ours, and the community grapples with issues that we still deal with today, i.e. learning secular subjects and to what extent.   

Unique to that time, though, was the popularity and prevalence of the Novardok brand of mussar.  Grade illustrates life in Novardok, leaving the reader to come to his or her own conclusions.   Even more interesting to me, though, is Chaikl's, Grade's younger self, relationship with the Chazon Ish.  In his late teens and early twenties, Grade was a close student of the Chazon Ish.  His description of the Chazon Ish's middos and bein adam l'chaveiro is awe-inspiring.  Whether or not one identifies with the Chareidi legacy of the Chazon Ish, one can appreciate his humanity and character.

This book was definitely worth my 5 A.M. bedtime.

1 comment:

Erachet said...

A few friends of mine have been reading that book. I've heard good things about it. I want to try it in the summer. By the way:

I have lots of bad habits, but one of my very worst may be staying up all night reading..

Since when was this a bad habit? :)