Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Campers Say the Funniest/Strangest Things--Part II

Since B. Asked--

The same kid in the "Does he have sisters?" exchange comes up to me today at lunch and says very matter-of-factly, "I have a question for you, but I need a yes or no answer. No 'maybe' or 'I don't know' answers. Yes or no."

So I say, "I'll try, but I can't promise that I'll have a good answer for you. I just may not know."

"Alright. I need to know if I'll look good with side bangs."

I laugh, because people who know me know that I know nothing about hair, so I answer, "I'm sorry, but I really don't know."

Anyway, after some more discussion, she goes into a long explanation of why she suspects that she would look good with a side sweep (something having to do with having a slightly off-center--but not side!--part). When we all have to start bentching, I cut her off and ask that we continue our discussion later.

The weird thing is that the more I interact with this particular kid, the more she reminds me of myself as a child. I was one of those kids who hated day camp. I wrote hate notes to my counselors--really they were just letters explaining how they could do their jobs better. I was never one of the kids mentioned in the weekly camp newsletter. But a plus to being a day camp outcast is that now as a day camp counselor I'm naturally attentive (or at least I try to be) to kids' feelings--at the very least, I try to make sure that every kid in my classes is mentioned in the newsletter.

In any case, I'm really starting to appreciate this kid's personality.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hah-ha. :-) I actually always liked day camp, but to each her own.

the apple said...

Is this kid only nine?? She seems very sophisticated - totally the opposite of me at that age - I was kind of dorky ;). I like your anecdotes.

As a former day camp counselor, I applaud your decision to try and get each kid in your bunk a mention in the newsletter. They love it (and so do the parents).

Diet Dr. Pepper said...

Yeah, she's nine. She's quite a personality. For instance, a couple of weeks ago, we went to this place filled with giant moonwalks. This same kid asks me if she can tell the staff at the place that they should invest in funner moonwalks, because she went to a similar place, and it was much more fun. Every trip we go on, I see her talking to the respective staff. About what? Your guess is as good as mine.