Friday, August 3, 2007

Birthday Party Blues

After spending the last hour driving around, unsuccessfully trying to find my friend's surprise belated birthday party, I decided to return home. (So A., if you're reading this, I'm just letting you know that I tried really hard to get to the party and that I'll be bringing brownie bites to camp on Monday. Although if my baking skills are as poor as my navigational skills, then the brownies may not be so great.) But on the upside, I learned a couple of important things tonight:
1. I need to get a higher glasses prescription.
2. Suburbs need to invest more money in streetlights.

Strangely, I'm invited to another couple of birthday parties this weekend, one of which is for a nine-year-old camper of mine (well, she's turning nine). I've been trying to think of ways to get out of going, because as much as a good kid she is, I would really rather not attend her party, especially since today was my mom's birthday (Happy Birthday, Mom! I'm getting to cleaning my room). Since my family will probably celebrate it tomorrow night, I'll have to miss a potential fancy restaurant visit for a nine-year-old's party. However, choosing not to show up to the party, which happens to be glow-in-the-dark themed, is complicated by the fact that another counselor was invited. So if I don't go, then she has to go by herself, which would be pretty awkward for her. But whether or not I do go, I have to get this kid a present. I don't think that my standard gift of a lottery ticket is going to cut it. Oy. I need help. Halevai, all my problems would be this benign.

4 comments:

Chana said...

It is saddening that you missed the party but good luck getting a gift for your nine-year old camper! And if you don't want to go, don't. The other counselor will be able to manage, I would assume. :-)

Rebecca said...

Okay, DDP you're keeping me in suspense--what's the end of the story? :-)

Diet Dr. Pepper said...

Since you asked. I went to the nine year-old's party in the end. I gave her a purse that looks like a skirt and put a package of colored pencils in it. I think/hope that she liked it. In any case, I'm really glad that my friend and I decided to go, b/c if we hadn't I think the kid would have been devastated. She and her friends were waiting for us in the window, if that's any clue. Plus, her mom told us that she offered to invite her daughter's whole class, but her daughter just wanted to invite us and a few friends. So there we were: the birthday girl, her best friend, a pair of twins, and us, the counselors. It was an experience to remember.

Rebecca said...

Yay! A happy ending...