Monday, July 30, 2007

Confessions of a Bad Driver

I have to confess--I'm a bad driver. Bad driver, as in the kind that you see on the road and wonder how he/she ever received his/her license. But then you remember the Licenses for Bribes scandal in our fine state, and it all starts to make sense.

Alright, perhaps I'm exagerrating a tad.

Maybe I'm not really that bad of a driver, but I'm definitely not a good one. I've been in my fair share of near accidents (thank G-d, I've never actually been in a collision); I've dinged up the family mini-van a couple of times (the turn at the Baskin-Robbins drive-thru is hard to maneuver in the dark--seriously); I've locked myself out of the car and then repeated the experience, but with the gas still running. Maybe the last incident has more to do with forgetfulness than with bad driving skills, but the idea is that my motor vehicle track record is pretty lousy.

But the thing that I find most challenging about driving (besides for making a left out of the 7-11 parking lot against oncoming traffic) is parallel parking. Before I learned to drive, I heard so many people complain about parallel parking, I figured that all the drama just had to be hype. It's not. I have literally broken a sweat parallel parking.

I live on a residential street, so, theoretically, finding parking shouldn't be too difficult. However, my family's parking situation is complicated by the fact that our house is located within close proximity of a very large shul. Frequently, it's impossible (near impossible for most people; impossible for drivers of my caliber) to find parking when bar mitzvah celebrations and weddings are held at the shul. So I was really surprised when yesterday I succeeded in parallel parking my car directly in front of my house at the same time as a wedding was held around the block. I didn't break a sweat, I didn't bump the enormous Cadillac behind my spot, I didn't hit the curb. Never before have I so gracefully parallel parked.

Yay!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

You're talking to someone who's failed her driving test twice becasue of parallel parking and has yet to pass on her third...wish me luck, my test is on Wednesday! :-)

Chana said...

Huzzah for you for gracefully parallel parking! And also, I appreciated the Chafetz Chaim tidbit.

the apple said...

Um, hi. I failed my road test in five different ways, one of which being that when I "parallel parked" I managed to get two wheels over the curb. It was so, so sad. So good for you for parallel parking correctly.

Rebecca said...

In case anyone is wondering, I passed!

Diet Dr. Pepper said...

Hey guys,
Thanks for your testimonials.

In my state, they found that too many people failed the drivers' test b/c of parallel parking, so they just took that element off the test. At least that's what people say. In any case, we don't get tested on parallel parking here. Don't you love dumbing-down?

Mazel tov, Rebecca!

Rebecca said...

Thank you, thank you...

Grr, Midwesterners (is ur state considered Midwest??) are so lucky!!! :-)

Diet Dr. Pepper said...

Rebecca, we're the heart of the Midwest.

Rebecca said...

:-) (Sheepish smile)...

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you'll read this comment but I thought it was funny that you had a hard time making a left out of 7-11... I live in Toronto, and that was my hardest driving move, too!!